Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
175g (6oz) self raising flour
175g (6oz) butter
175g (6oz) caster sugar
2 large eggs
Zest of one lemon
6tbsp lemon curd
For the meringue:
2 medium egg whites
100g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases
- Place all the cake ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for one to two minutes until the mixture is fluffy and pail in colour. Divide the batter between the cases (filling the case 2/3 full) and bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the cakes are risen and golden in colour.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tin for five minutes then transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, scoop out a small section from the middle and pipe a small amount of lemon curd into each hole.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the meringue topping, place the egg whites and sugar into a bowl and whisk until the frosting is white, shiny and holds its shape.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice and pipe neat swirls on to the cakes.
- For a finishing touch, set each meringue with a blow torch flame until lightly brown.