Trick the Treaters with our easy but effective Haunted Graveyard cupcakes
It’s been getting a little spooky in the It’s a Baking Thing kitchen with our expert home baker, Rachael, cooking up some ghastly treats in our spooktacular tutorial. And what better way to say Halloween than with these sinister haunted graveyard cupcakes?
Hopefully your friends and family won’t be too scared to enjoy these delicious cupcakes!
Wrights Chocolate Fudge cake mix
Renshaw White Flower and Modelling Paste
Macphie Mint Frosting
Macphie Chocolate Frosting
Sugarflair Colouring Paste Shadow Grey
Sugarflair Colouring Paste Peach
Chocolate Cookie Crumb Sprinkles
- First things first combine the entire bag of Chocolate fudge cake mix with some water, and vegetable oil. Whisk the mixture thoroughly – with an electric whisk if you have one, if not a hand whisk will work just as well!
- Evenly distribute your mixture into 24 buncases.
- Bake at 200 degrees (in a fan assisted oven) for 15 minutes. Finally leave your cakes to cool completely on a wire rack- this should take around 20-30 minutes.
- Cover your cupcakes in an even layer of chocolate frosting. After you have done this, empty the cookie crumb sprinkles into a bowl and roll the cupcakes in them. (This will create a soil effect).
- Combine a small amount of your grey food colouring with the white modelling icing until you achieve a suitable ‘grave’ colour.
- Using a sharp knife carefully cut out the shape of a tomb-stone from your icing.
- Using a small amount of frosting, attach the grave-stone to the top of your cupcake.
- Combine a small amount of the Peach coloured icing to the modelling icing, until you achieve a ‘skin colour.’
- Then begin to model the icing into hand shapes using a sharp knife.
- Using a small amount of frosting attach the hand shape to the cupcake (In the same way that you attached the grave-stone).
- Fill your piping bag with Macphie Mint icing and attach the basket weave nozzle to the end. Carefully pipe grass around the grave stone.
Head to the It’s a Baking Thing online baking shop to buy the ingredients that you need for the spooky cakes. Or just to have a browse if you have any other bakes planned!